Thursday, August 12, 2010

In the Mind of Mary - Please Wipe Your Feet

(Disclaimer: Some of this may sound conceited. I am just writing.)

* Compromise can't be all one-sided. If a man wants to be the proud possessor of the deep devotion and thrilling mystery that is me, he'll have to give a few inches too.

* I greatly admire honesty, but careless, thoughtless remarks can wound my unexpectedly vulnerable heart more than anyone can ever guess, because I keep the deepest hurt to myself, inside, where it won't show.

* If a man values my love, he'll never be careless of my feelings. For all my gentleness, my apparent poise and calm, sometimes when I am the most silent, the woman inside is screaming.

* As determinedly ruthless as I can be when I've really been hurt and feel compelled to teach the guilty a lesson they'll never forget, I can also be unbelievably loyal and fiercely protective of anyone who has ever been kind to me. I am a warm and loving friend, capable of intense devotion, who will still be there when the fair-weather friends have all flown the coop.

* I like to know things. A compulsion to probe the buried, the hidden and the mysterious, to ferret out secrets. "Curiousity" is too mild a word. Knowledge is power.

* I have a deep need to understand the world around me. I have high ideals and I have my eye on what's on the horizon. I look ahead, and at times can seem quite restless. I am proud of my knowledge and of my morals.

* I am a tolerant, adventurous, and curious person, and I want to see the best in people and in life.

* I can't deny that sometimes I still have yet to fully learn the lessons of freedom, optimism, daring and self-honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment